Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Laughing out loud . . .

A few days ago I ran across a quote by one of my favorite authors.  The quote was at the bottom of a good friend's email, and I almost missed it.  I sure am glad I didn't.  Barbara Kingsolver is the author, and if you have not read her books, I urge you to have a look.  She has written much, with varied subjects and themes, short stories, non-fiction, a bit of everything.  Her book, The Poisonwood Bible, is definitely one of my favorites.

Oh, but the quote . . .

It's completely usual for me to get up in the morning, take a look around, and laugh out loud.


You cannot know how much I love that.  I laughed out loud when I read it and a zillion memories came rushing back.  As a parent, one never knows what one will wake up to - especially after the children begin waking up before you on the weekends.  It's never a dull moment; I can assure you that.

This past Sunday morning, I woke up last (no surprise) and was more than delighted to see that the children were almost completely ready for church (surprise).  It was a miracle in itself.  And then they all began to explain that they had even finished breakfast.  The laughing out loud came when Harry (age 8) proudly stated, "I just finished the best BBQ sandwich ever."  I laughed, then I thought about crying, then I hoped no one else would find out, then I decided:

  1. He was showing his responsibility by foraging and preparing his own breakfast.
  2. He was happy.
  3. His meal contained one serving from the wheat group and one serving from the protein group.
  4. I am mother of the year once again.

Just a few days before I found the Kingsolver quote, I found this on my dresser when I awoke.  I cannot explain it.  I don't really think it means anything.  I believe it was just one of those things that one might find sitting around in a house with three imaginative children.  Again, I laughed, and then I did what I always do when I discover a new oddity - I wondered what in the world was on the funny little mind of the person who arranged this peculiar table decor.  

Was it to signify:
  • Mama, I decided I do want to go to swim practice tonight?
  • I'd like to learn a bit more about Amelia Earhart?
  • Has anyone seen a body to go with this head?
I'm just not sure.  Who knows.

I say, keep it coming.  Bring it on.  Keep me thinking.  Keep me laughing.




And now, we must announce the winner for yesterday's WHAT IS IT contest!

Good work, you guys!  I thought I had you fooled, but I didn't trick too many of you.  

This was the photo:


(Just for the record, all of you Smarty Pants, I never saw the bug until you pointed it out!)


Here is what it was:


Nicely done, folks.  Thanks for playing!  The winner of this week's free photo session is Heather K.!

We'll go again next Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...