Friday, April 6, 2012

List Thirteen - Five things to consider on Good Friday


  1. This is a strange day, and my children always ask the smart question . . . "Why is Good Friday good?"  There are many explanations for why Christians call this day good, but I tend go with the one that explains how early modern English used the word good to mean holy.  I like that explanation.  And far more than that, I am thankful for all that this weekend means.  I'm thankful for the many ways that my Christianity allows me to begin again and over again every day.  I'm thankful that I am given Holy Week each and every year to prepare for Easter, and I am eternally grateful for all of the ways that I KNOW that Easter is about way more than a new dress and great chocolate candy.  
  2. If you have never participated in a foot washing celebration, I wish you would force yourself to sometime or another.  Every Maundy Thursday, I dread going to the service; and every year I am so glad that I did.
  3. Spend some time today and tomorrow considering new life, beginnings, starting fresh.  Sometimes this holiday is hard to really think about when there are too many plastic eggs around, so maybe we can use them as props.  Hold an egg (plastic or real), study a bird's nest on your porch, take a moment to stare into the face of a child or concentrate on one of the fresh blooms in your yard - then spend a while feeling thankful.
  4. Try finding out something about how someone different celebrates in the springtime - it's always interesting to hear how very much alike we all are.
  5. Get in your car.  Roll the windows down.  Listen to The Indigo Girls - Southland in the Springtime.  Proceed smiling.  (Please don't ever tell me if you do not like that song.)

A thoughtful and thankful Good Friday to you, friends.   And may you get to sing happy Easter songs all day on Sunday.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...