Friday, August 10, 2012

List 29 . . . a few thoughts on these games


I adore the olympics.  I really love the olympics.  I'm a junkie.  I'm embarrassed to tell you how many events I went to when the games were here.  I started with the opening ceremonies and I was still going when most of the athletes had made it back to their home countries.  I cannot get enough.  I guess I'm an olympic nerd.  I also guess that there are worse things to be.  I'll go with that.

There is nothing about the olympics that I don't like.   There are a few things that crazy network executives have done to the games that I don't appreciate, but I try to look past that.

We are in the process of moving.  Our family is leaving a community we've been a part of for almost thirteen years and beginning a new adventure.  It's an exciting, sad, tense, emotional time.  You may have noticed the scarcity of blogposts over the last few days.  I miss the posts; I think writing the blog helps keep me sane!

If you're reading between the lines, you may have deducted that I'm not entirely sane right now.  That is a correct deduction.  I will be back, though, and I appreciate your patience.

All of that is to say that I'm 100% sure that having the olympics as a diversion has helped keep me just  this side of having nice men in white coats arrive to take me away.  I'm thankful for the olympics.

I will watch sports on the olympics that I've never heard of and will not enjoy again for four years.  I go for it all.  I'm a believer, baby.

The list this week has to be about the olympics.  It just has to be.

Here are a few of my thoughts on these games.  I'd love to hear yours!


  1. When I grow up, I want to be a beach volleyball player.  Period.
  2. If I'm having a bad day, it helps me to watch the slow motion replays of the sprinters' cheeks bobbing up and down as they run.
  3. I do not want to know which country has won which medals and who is ahead and which country has the most golds.  It seems to me, that is opposite of what the olympics are about.  I don't want to hear who 'wins' the olympics.
  4. I am relieved that neither of my three children has expressed any interest in pole-vaulting.
  5. If an orthodontist has not offered to sponsor the US swim team or track team for advertising purposes, that is a huge opportunity wasted.
  6. I cannot imagine anything (gold medals, world records included) worth the nervousness of those strange little female gymnasts.  
  7. I think the horse-jumping, dressage arena would benefit from a re-do on the decor.
  8. I never get tired of hearing Morgan Freeman tell us about dreamy olympic moments.
  9. The moment when the US Women's water polo coach admitted to making a crucial mistake, and then thanked his players for having his back, was unforgettable.
  10. I have no doubt that we would have enjoyed the whole thing more without the interruptions of Ryan Seacrest.  
  11. There are no words to describe how much I love the Sears appliances commercial.  I'm ashamed to be such a wimp at the force of advertising, but I believe that one thirty second ditty might just see me through this crazy time.  If you haven't seen it, please watch it on youtube.  Please.  Click here:    Sears Appliance Ad
  12. I am thankful for the stories of the olympics.  I'm thankful for the stories of 'little engines that could' who rise above insurmountable odds to achieve the unachievable.  I hope I remember some of the moments on the odd rainy, cold Tuesday in February when I need a little nudge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...