Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The view from behind different steering wheels . . .

“In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.” 
 Bertrand Russell


This is me driving a friend's Jaguar . . .


(Yep, my friend Tom just walked over to the cabin where I was recently staying and begged for me to trade my hot minivan for his okay 2001 Jag. *)


* Statements preceding this mark may not be the total truth.  




This is me earlier the same day, in a rain storm, enduring the elements, driving rugged terrain, searching for my son to save him from the wicked forces of nature.

The photos make me think.  They urge me to consider ways the same places look different when we look at them with opening eyes.  I remember about how much various perspectives can change the same place, similar situations, realities we are faced with again and again.

It's like that for you, too, I expect.  Sometimes we see things from under a plastic bag, bracing ourselves from a storm and sometimes we have the open, free perspective of a cool drive in a classic car.  
The terrain changes when our view does.  

Often I need to be reminded of that.  Sometimes I need a nudge that reminds me there are lots of different ways to look at everything . . . what a friend believes, how a child reacts, a problem that seems insurmountable.  

How about you?

“What we see depends mainly on what we look for.”
― John Lubbock


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...