Friday, July 13, 2012

List 27 . . . Who to ask - what's the meaning of life?

What is the meaning of life?  Now, that's a question!  I was thinking the other day about one of my favorite authors, Robert Fulghum, and I was reminded of one of his stories in particular.  It appears in his book, It was on Fire When I Lay Down On It.  In the story, Fulghum shares how he loves to ask folks the question . . . What's the meaning of life?  Please, please, take the time to click on this link to read the story yourself - you'll be glad you did.

Fulghum points out that most folks are quick to laugh off the question and then move along - as if no one actually wants to consider it.  But, finally, he finds someone who is willing to answer, and that answer is definitely worth the read.  It has me thinking . . . who could I ask about the meaning of life?  Whose thoughts would I most want to hear?  Hmmmmmm . . .

How about that for a list this week?  How about we name the folks we wish we could ask, "What's the meaning of life?"  This is a hard one, I know.  (For those of you who have been working on the dinner party list from a few months ago, maybe this is a good part two.)  Let's say this . . . Name ten people, living today, who you would like to hear from.  Hey, maybe some of us can actually ask!

I can't wait to hear yours!

Here are ten of the folks I'd like to ask:(As always, in no particular order - and I'm sure I'll want to add to the list after I hear your ideas!)

1.  Frances, the 104 year old friend of my grandmother, who is almost totally blind, cannot hear much, is confined to a wheel chair and laughs and smiles every time I've ever seen her.

                       





                  2.  The Dalai Lama

                                     









3.  My friend Amy's father, Scott, who grew up in an orphanage and visits there frequently to help continue what helped him.

4.  Anyone in the para-olympics.







5.  Will Ferrell












6.  An astronaut.

7.  Anyone who has visited all seven continents.

8.  Anyone who has celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary.






                                                         9.  My Dad.








10. Terry Gross, host of NPR's Fresh Air since 1975. 
 I cannot imagine anyone she hasn't interviewed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...