Thursday, November 8, 2012

1,379 pieces of good news . . .

I'm tired of doom and gloom.  Are you?

I'm tired of hearing everyone's rants.  Are you?

I'm ready to hear people being positive, trying harder, getting along and all of that other good stuff.  How about you?

I want to tell you about something I found a few months ago.  I want you to know about a treasure trove of good attitudes, amazing brains, encouraging ideas and hope for us all.  If you don't yet know about TED, it's high time you found out.



Technology, Entertainment, Design - that's TED.  It's more than you might think, though, read on.

TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader.  I've only just begun to scratch the surface of what TED has to share, and I've fallen in love with TEDtalks.  I hope you'll look into a talk or two, too.

If you ever find yourself with a bit of extra time or if you ever realize that you need a dose of good hope for our future, choose a talk and have a listen.  You won't be disappointed.  You'll hear about everything and you'll hear about things you've never heard of.  You'll laugh and you'll cry and you'll want to call a friend and talk.  You'll be energized and excited and your brain will start twirling about all sorts of subjects and you'll notice you feel a little better about things.  You'll be reminded that this world has many, many corners and that folks from all of them are thinking up wonderful things and stretching us all to be better.

To date, there are 1,379 TEDtalks and I've only heard a few.  I want to hear them all.  I want to know little bits of what all of those awesome brains can share.  I can't wait!  Please give a listen.   The talks must be less than 18 minutes, and many of them are less than five minutes.  You won't believe what folks can pack into that short smidgeon of time!  You'll be amazed.

In talking about what she has learned from her autistic brothers, Faith Jegede says, "The chance for greatness, for progress and for change dies the moment we try to be like someone else."  Amen, sister.  Let us remember that.  I spend a great deal of time each day attempting to convince my children of that - perhaps they could benefit from a TEDtalk or two.  We all could, to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...